Tuesday, November 17, 2009
To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970),
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon sand.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox,
There is no remedy for love but to love more.
Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862),
Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.
Iris Murdoch (1919 - 1999)
We can only learn to love by loving.
Iris Murdoch (1919 - 1999),
Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.
The first duty of love is to listen.
Paul Tillich (1886 - 196
WARNING: You were very talkative on Monday in spite of my warnings. Please , remember you´re here to learn English and since this is not a bar or a café ,you have certain duties and one of these is that you have to remain silent when the teacher is speaking. I wouldn´t like to take serious action , so take notice of this.
- Homework: Grammar, unit 14, wk: p.15
- Reading: A photocophy titled "It was a cold, dark, night".A predicting story using the simple past and the past continuous.
- Listening and reading: As you had problrms with the last listening we had done on Thursday , we did it again. St.B.p. 19 . "The lovers of La Bastille". First, we read the introduction and then the listening activity.
- Vocabulary: St.B.p. 19. Prepositions in, at ,on. for place and time. Vocabulary Bank, St.B.p. 148. Here we saw the prepositions in detail.
- Speaking : I gave you a really important photocopy with the instructions to describe photos. It´s essential for you to learn how to describe a picture and you have all the steps in that paper. We saw it in detail.
- Homework: A drawing for you to describe (you can star on Tuesday and the deadline is Thursday, this means everybody have to do it that day) ,grammar , unit 106.
- Grammar: Grammar, units 38,39,40 about conditionals and the structures "Iwish; if only". We just did the activities I was most interested in , the remaining exercises were left for homework. This activity took us longer than I expected because of the writing and speaking practice. More conditional exercises and their answers.
- Listening: St.B. p. 25. People talking about alternative medicine with a matching exercise and a note taking and summarising one. As they spoke quite fast , in the end we listened to it with the script on p.124 at sight.
- Homework: Reading.St.B.p. 22 and finish the exercises on conditionals.
Celine Dion . I love you