HOW TO SAVE ENERGY ROUND THE HOUSE
1. When you're home, turn your water heater down to 120 degrees. When you're away, turn it to its lowest setting.
2. Wash your clothes in cold water. 90% of the energy used by washing machines goes to heating water.
2. Use your dishwasher and clothes washer only when they are fully loaded.
3. Line dry your clothes as much as possible, especially in the summer. If you need a new dryer, try to find one with a moisture sensor in order to turn off the dryer automatically when your clothes are dry.
4. Check for air gaps and fix any leaky spots with weather stripping and caulking.
5. Properly insulate your home. You can check how much insulation you have by measuring the depth with a ruler. 7 inches of fiber glass or rock wool or 6 inches of cellulose mean you have a level of R-22. If you have less than this level, it would be good to add more insulation. This can save 5 to 25% on your heating and cooling costs.
6. Consider installing high efficiency windows. These windows, such as those with double panes of high performance glass, are 40% more efficient than standard windows. If your windows are operable, make sure you know how to use them properly for natural ventilation.
7. Use Light Timers. You can use timers for more than just lights. Plug all of your cell phone chargers into one timer and set it to turn off when you're not at home. Set your TV, sound system, DVD, etc. to turn off late at night when no one's using them.
By Huddler's Green Home Community
INTERMEDIATE LEVEL A/C
- Homework: Phrasal verb exercises.summary of the reading "Abba", St.B.p. 8,9.
- Grammar : A power point with the rules to make questions. St.b.p. 11. English Grammar in Use, unit 49.
- Speaking: Questions. Complete the questions and interview your partner.
- Listening: Abba. The Winner Takes it All. St.B.p. 10. Match word phrases. Listen to the song and complete with the word phrases .
- Vocabualry: The media (2). St.B.p. 145. Read and complete with words realted to the media.
- Speaking: The media. St.B.p. 11. Make a speech following the questions given. Don´t read the questions ,they´re only to help you not to lose your train of thought.
- Homework: Questions from English Grammar in Use, unit 49 , answers. There´s something wrong with the other file about questions, anyway, click on the answers to have the whole exercise answers
- Homework: exercises about the verb to in affirmative, negative and interrogative .
- Vocabulary: St.B.p. 141. Nationalities
Exercises about nationalities.
- A set of exercises about the verb to be and nationalities on the board. Nationalities.
- Listen and complete the dialogue: where are you from?
- Speaking: practise the dialogue . try to do it without looking.
- Grammar: write questions with the verb to be and nationalities.
- Phonetics: /I/ like in fish and /ai/ like in I
- Listening: Can you notice the difference: is he from China?/is she from China?
- More exercises about the ver to be.Listening and reading. Number the dialogues.
- Speaking:Practise the dialogues with your partner.
- Grammar: We, you, they. complete the chart.
- Phonetics. word stress and the sound /i:/like in tree, ,/e/ like in egg and /S/ like in she.
- Homework: Complete a dialogue and exercises with the verb to be. Exercises review of the verb to be.