THE VIKINGS 1
A Viking is one of ten Norse Escandinavian explorers , warriors, merchants, and pirates who raided and colonized wide areas of europe from the late eighth to the early eleventh century. These Norsemen used their famed longships to travel as far east as Constantinopla and the Volga River inRussia , and as far west asIceland ,Greenland , andNewfoundland . This period of Viking expansion is known as theViking Age , and forms a major part of the medieval history of Scandinavia , the British Isles and Europe in general.The period from the earliest recorded raids in the 790s until the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 is commonly known as the Viking Age of Scandinavian History .Many of the medieval kings of Norway and Denmark married into English and Scottish royalty and occasionally got involved in dynastic
There is archaeological evidence that Vikings reached the city of Baghdad , the center of the Islamic Empire . They regularly plied the Volga with their trade goods: furs, tusks, seal fat for boat sealant and slaves . However, they were far less successful in establishing settlements in the Middle East, due to the more centralized Islamic power.
Generally speaking, the Norwegians expanded to the north and west to places such as Ireland, Iceland and Greenland; the Danes to England and France, settling in the Danelaw (northern/eastern England) and Normando and the Swedes to the east. These nations, although distinct, were similar in culture and language. The names of Scandinavian kings are known only for the later part of the Viking Age. Only after the end of the Viking Age did the separate kingdoms acquire distinct identities as nations, which went hand in hand with their Christianization . Thus the end of the Viking Age for the Scandinavians also marks the start of their relatively brief Middle Ages.Do this WEB QUEST ABOUT THE VIKINGS
- Homework: Wk,p.7,9.
- Vocabulary review: the media.St.B.p.145
- Grammar: question formation. A handout with a very good summary of the way questions are formed.
- EO. Interview with a star . St.B.p. 10 Student A,p.114, student B.p.119. The journalist has to ask questions to a celebrity who tries to avoid some too personal questions.
- Vocabulary: St.B.p. 145. TV and radio. Important vocabulary for both speaking and writing activities.
- EO: St.B.p. 11. Interview your partner about Tv and Radio. More quetions to practise with.
- CO.St.B.p. 11. 6 speakers talking about the media in general. which topics are being discussed?, does the speaker agree or disagree with the statements?
- Homework: Wk.p. 8. Grammar, chapter 49 (about questions) and please, study the vocabulary.